Book Review: The Virginian by Owen Wister

 


    If I told you all that The Virginian was another book that I read for school last year which quickly became a favorite, you would wonder if I had any favorite books before last school year :) Don't worry, I didn't read it for school. I listened to the audiobook 😂 And yes, it was another huge classic that was intimidating at first but quickly grew on me! 
    The Virginian, by Owen Wister, is just slow enough that you can pat yourself on the back for reading classic literature, but fast enough that it held my attention (and I'm an avid reader). Set in the 'Wild West,' it is so much more than the typical, fluffy, guy-meets-girl-guess-the-rest book it may appear at first sight. The quiet yet forceful, unlearned yet witty cowpuncher is without a name. He goes by The Virginian, The Southerner, and many other general names throughout the book. The Narrator is also unnamed, and jumps in and out of the story. The heroine, though, is Molly, the girl from Boston who moves to the Virginan's Western locality to teach. It is love at first sight for the Virginian, who says as much quite bluntly. Molly, however, is not charmed but the rough, uncultured cowboy, and is determined not to be. Many funny and sobering events follow, as well as character development.
    I have a notebook where I write down favorite quotes as I come across them, and I wrote down about 80 quotes from The Virginian! My siblings think it ridiculous. But there really are a lot of great quotes in it! And I love that, while peppered with funny stories to hold one's attention, and although the ultimate climax is predictable, it is not fluffy and contains so many great life lessons!


This being the tenth book review, there will be a giveaway soon, as well as the beginning of a new series of reviews. Stay tuned! Happy reading! God bless you!

Comments

  1. This book is amazing; thank you so much for recommending it, Veronica! It was even better than I was expecting from the review! I am so glad I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, @Cantate Domino! Thank you for leaving a review!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts