Book Review: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

   

 The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy, was on my school reading list. And I had not the first idea of its contents. And the cover of the copy I was to read was the blandest book cover on the face of the planet. No pictures, or anything to hint at the intriguing story that lay concealed within. In short, I viewed The Scarlet Pimpernel as a cumbersome chore on my school checklist. But looking back, I am so happy to admit that I was wrong, and it is now one of my favorite books!
     The book is a fictional story from the French Revolution. The main characters are aristocratic Englishmen who rescue aristocratic Frenchmen from the reign of tyranny. The leader of the band calls himself the Scarlet Pimpernel, who has been called the original superhero. The Scarlet Pimpernel is filled with true masculinity and heroism, suspense, daring, horror, deception, and romance. It combines the beauty of classic literature with faced paced adventure and is hard to put down!
    If you were completely unaware of the story before reading this article, you are in the perfect place! I so enjoyed reading it for the first time and discovering the secrets and plot twists with the characters! My main advice to you, aside from "Read the book- you won't regret it!" is this: "Don't read any other summaries of the book, as most tend to give away the big secret, which will make it so much less enjoyable for you!". If you are familiar with the story from a movie or another source, I will still encourage you to read the book, because the Scarlet Pimpernel movies I saw did not do the book justice. The book has a beautiful ending, and it is also the first in a series of 14 books. The movies took their endings from other books in the series, which was so disappointing!
    Please read the book and share this article with others who may not know about it! Comment below if you are a Scarlet Pimpernel fan or have questions about it! Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts