Book Review: Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

 


    When I was gifted Heartless by Anne Stengl a few months ago, I felt I needed to read it cover to cover to say I did, but I wasn't too thrilled about it. I have never been into fantasy, and the summary and first few chapters were looking pretty fantastical. So, I forced myself to read it one page at a time. However, at some point I really got into it, and couldn't put it down. The Christian symbolism throughout was really beautiful, and I especially loved the last few chapters. I guess after awhile I realized that it was actually the best kind of realistic!

    Similar to Narnia, Heartless is a book where our world and the spiritual realm meet, and the spiritual realm is portrayed as quite fantastical. The main character, Una, is a human princess, who has just 'come of age'. Varying suitors are ready with proposals, but she must pick the right one. If she picks wrongly, there will be major consequences, but the good Prince will never give up on Una. He will test her faith and love, and ultimately win her heart back from the dragon.

    That is the truth of our spiritual lives! We are princesses, and we have been chosen by the Prince from all eternity. He will never give up on us, no matter how many times we give our hearts to the wrong people or things. After reading so many fluffy love novels and watching Hallmark movies where normal girls marry princes, it is helpful to me to remember that there is Prince waiting for me, who is more perfect, loving, and handsome than all the rest put together! Remembering everything he did to win my love can even be a great meditation! Keep your royal dignity always in mind, and save your heart for the true Prince! God bless you!

Comments

Popular Posts