2nd (Series) I Didn't Enjoy: The Chronicles of Narnia

 J+M+J


You were warned that more classics would be reviewed in this negative series, but here you are. As I said, these are books I didn't enjoy when I read them, but some I have learned to appreciate since reading, and others I will probably appreciate in due time. So please do not send hate mail.


This week's "book I didn't enjoy" is the Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. I have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, and half of the Magician's Nephew. I have also watched many of the movies, and seen plays of several. Fun fact: I was even in a musical of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I was offered the part of the White Witch, but when I turned it down, I ended up getting the part of an owl, who had one line 😏. But I was also able to sing a lot, which was really fun.

Anyway, I have never had much imagination or appreciation for the unrealistic. We were supposed to read at least The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for school, and until my brother found Lord of the Rings, he lived and breathed Narnia. I, however, viewed the talking animals just as I viewed the baby doll I had laid aside years before; as silly and childish. At nine years old, I was mature enough to realize that animals didn't talk, but somehow, adults still thought Narnia was profound! My uncle would shake his head and quote the preface of (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?) to me, about how kids appreciate the animation of Narnia but nothing more, and when they are mature, they will dust the book off, reread it, and appreciate the story's symbolism and hidden meanings. 

I would never admit that he was right, but I will now. I have not reread any of the books yet, but I have come to appreciate more of the story, especially Aslan's character. Obviously, God is so much more than could ever be portrayed by a talking lion, but Aslan's strength, wisdom, gentleness, and sacrificial love are beautiful examples of the attributes of God. And I watch with disgust as Edmund betrays his family and values for 'num-nums', only to realize that that is what I am continually doing on the spiritual level; trading eternal happiness for momentary pleasures.

So yes, I have at least begun to appreciate the Chronicles of Narnia, and will reread them eventually!
God bless us, everyone! 


Ok, ok, SO many good quotes! 😍


Comments

Popular Posts